Re: Need help selecting a turbo

Dennis,
I am by no means an expert here on this list, but I am another guy with
an '84 svo looking to do the same basic things You are. I don't know what
kind of a budget you are on (I'm a Student, along with most of the other
guy on this list), but I do have some suggestions.
	First of all, make sure that you are using motorcraft plug wires,
general consences is that they are the BEST under the high temps of the
engine compartment
	All of the other things that you have already done are very
logical. On your To-Do list you state that you want an ATR header. Unless
you have a lot of money to blow(and you may) I would look into just
porting a 87-88 TC exhaust manifold, the performance gain will be slightly
less, but the cost will be drasticly less(about 1/3). You also will not
have the even higher temp under the hood, which will make your I/C much
less productive at the starting line unless you put a blower motor on it,
or front mount it(better choice).
	Also look closer at the mass air conversion. I know that it seems
logical and it is very important in 5.0 applications, but is yet unproven
on the 2.3T. You may notice that both Joe(running 10's) and scott(will be
running 12's if he ever goes to the strip again;) ) on this list both do not
use th mass air conversion, even Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords "Tiny Avenger"
returned to the stock speed density for the 2nd and 3rd episode!
Be very leary of paying big bucks for this conversion until it is proven.
	I also noticed that you left out the InterCooler. This is an
important step in power(especially on an SVO). The high resistance to
airflow and inefficeincy even compared to a TC I/C make it an easy, cheap,
and important replacement
	As far as the 8.8 rear, I think that you can get one off of a
lincoln Mark 7 and it should bolt right in, that is where the  disk brake
rearend originally came from, and when lincoln went to the 8.8 I think it
was a direct replacement. I can check on this with my lincoln racing friend.
	Now on the turbo thing, I will leave that up to the other guys on the
list, I haven't looked into that too closely myself yet.
	You may notice that this list consists of the Cheap guys, trying
to do the most with the least, and doing a great job at it:) And always
remember that in the 1320, loosing weight is as important as gaining HP.

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Sly, Dennis wrote:

> 1: NGK plugs
> 2. 8mm wires
> 3: manually adjust boost
> 4. K&N 6" conical
> 5. Engel 55H cam
>
> Things to do:
>
> 6. 3" exhaust front to back (parts on order)
> 7. Big Valve Cylinder Head
> 8. Ported intake
> 9. tubular header (ATR header, I think)
> 10. Mass Air
> 11. New Turbo??
> 12. 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears (need help here too)

	Matt Carlson
	84 SVO Mustang
	http:/www.acm.ndsu.nodak.edu/~macarlso
	"Knowledge is HorsePower"