Moving...need some advice

Hey gang,

It seems as though we are moving to Northern California from Central
Ohio in January and I have a big dilema.  We have 3 cars.  My wife and
child will be driving the VW Passat and I will be driving the Ryder
truck.  Problem....still have 2 cars to get to California.  So I was
thinking of driving one out before hand and flying back but which should
I drive?  Which should I tow?  And depending on which car, should I put
it on a trailer or a dolly?  I love driving my XR and my TC but am torn
on the long distance expedition.  The TC is more reliable but since I
rebuilt the head in September I am leery about taking it.  Both will go
on a trailer but I'm not sure if the TC will go on the dolly.  Both are
mauals so I don't have to pull the driveshafts.  The trailer would be
nicer (less road wear) but with the dolly, my mileage on the truck would
be better.  Any personal experiences out there?  Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris