Re: SVO: roller cam?

On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:06:41 -0800 Jim Dvorak <jdvorak@deltanet.com>
writes:
>At 11:54 PM 12/3/97 -0700, extremesvo@juno.com wrote:
>>or you can see it from anyones point of view. How many cams for
>Street
>>cars have you seen that cost this much? I have seen none, and when
>you
>>boil it all down its just a Pice of steel, and it probably costs like
>>$50-90 bux to make the actually cam. I have heard of Suppy and Demand
>but
>>this is outrageous. maybe someone canback me up on this? anyone?
>>
>>ExtremeSVO
>>Charcoal Grey '86 SVO which needs a paint job bad!
>>2 Chambered Flowmasters, 2 1/2" Mac Tail pipes(Is it me or does MAC
>SUCK)
>
>(Soap Box Time...)
>

>Extreme, et. al.
>
>Please excuse my abrasiveness, but I'm sick you you and other guys
>(and you
>probably know who you are) who are not looking at the big picture in
>regards to a lot of topics, including this one.
>
>Think about it ... (or should I say "Pull your head out")
>
>The price in question is all-inclusive -- A cam in a kit form that
>includes, roller camshaft, lifters, roller rockers, springs,
>retainers,
>keepers, lash caps, seals. It's not your average garbage cam you can
>buy at
>Pep Boys for $50. It is a roller cam conversion kit.
>
>This is a quality piece developed by someone who does A LOT of 2.3
>motors,
>and has a LOT of very dedicated and happy customers who are members
>and
>Chapter Directors in the SVO Owners Association (including myself).
>AAlthough I have not yet ordered a cam, I am saving my money for one,
>instead of whining about the price which is what you're doing.
>
>It may not be the answer to everybody's needs, but then again it may
>be.
>
>If you don't like it, don't buy it. But for heaven's sake, don't bash
>it
>based on price alone! And certainly don't compare apples to oranges.
>
>One thing I look at is who have you heard that DOESN'T like this cam,
>or
>DOESN'T like the parts and service of a particular vendor. I think we
>can
>come up with many vendors who get bashed for one reason or another ...
>and
>often quite justifiably. This vendor, I trust and hear only good
>things
>about from trusted friends.
>
>Think about it.

thats great there Chief... but its still a $600 dollar cam... you go
ahead and waste your cash on that.  the only thing i would pay in that
kit would be the rollers.. they might be special, but the cam? its still
just heat treated steel..  and get a blank cam from crower or someone and
have them grind it to the same specs cheaper.
I am sure there are more people that are bothered about prices, it just
so happens that am the only one that has enought guts to say so.