Re: SVO: roller cam?

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 extremesvo@juno.com wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:49:21 -0500 (EST) Mp23cc@aol.com writes:
> >Well you can look at it this way. You can buy a cheeper camshaft ALONE
> >then
> >our $680.00 camshaft kit, but then you get a camshaft that makes alot
> >less
> >power, does not idle good, and has no lowend torque.

<SNIP>

> or you can see it from anyones point of view. How many cams for Street
> cars have you seen that cost this much? I have seen none, and when you
> boil it all down its just a Pice of steel, and it probably costs like
> $50-90 bux to make the actually cam. I have heard of Suppy and Demand but
> this is outrageous. maybe someone canback me up on this? anyone?

My computer has been dead tghe past few days and I am sure Nick prolly
already feilded this one but in case he didn't..
The thing is the billets to make the 2.3 roller cams are ALOT of cash
compared to as non roller cam blank.  They arent the same material, and
there isn't a ton of ppl buying 2.3 cams, so there aren't a ton of places
sellin the billets.
Joe is finding with his thing with Web Cam that the billets cost the cam
company about $100 each! And also consider the R&D that goes into it, the
fact that roller cams eat up the grinding wheels a gazillion times faster
than on a non roller, and then the fact that the cam maker sonner or later
has to actually make money at it, then nick has to make something on top
of it, too.  Thats why the rollers are so expensive.  Even the Ford
Motorsport roller isnot cheap when you include the rockers and other stuff
to go with it.