SVO: blocks

        Hey Guys,
  I have a question that is not directly SVO related, but is about one of my
Merk engines.  When I moved some of my parts last year, one of my Merk
engines got damaged.  As we were lifting it with the hoist, one of the
bellhousing mounting ears snapped off.  I have the piece that broke and it
is a jagged break.  What I want to know is, can cast iron be welded?  I have
a MIG welder, but all I've ever welded was steel plate.  What need to be
done to weld this back together.  The motor was a rebuild that has 15k on
it, so I don't want to waste it.  Any ideas?
                                                        Chris