SVO: RE: fuel pumps

OK all, here's a chunk of text detailing what I did to eliminate the 2
pump setup on my `84. This is just one option, keep in mind, this was
intended to reroute the lines out of the way and is actually more than
you need to do just to eliminate the inline pump.

Mikey

OK, a few people are asking about the duel exhaust swap, so here it goes
Disclaimer...If you're spinning the bottle as to which way to go, single
3" or
Duels, well, I think it's cheaper to get the 3". By the time you get all
the
toys for the duel swap, it'll cost you just as much. More iffin you
count time
spent in the yard!

First....get the needed parts before you start.
1.  Fuel. Get (or fab new) the metal fuel lines off of a late `80s /
early `90s
V8 car. The `84 SVOs had all nylon fuel line from tank to intake. The V8
cars
rerouted the fuel lines from the side rail to the center of the car. I
cut the
metal lines under the side door of the car. I was hoping to flair the
end of
the metal lines and push the nylon on, (the shop manual shows kits for
splicing
plastic to plastic but not metal to plastic. It also says heat the lines
in
boiling water to soften). Well, I took some scrap line and tried this in
my
kitchen (my wife wasn't real happy about this) No luck! I bought a few
feet of
high pressure rubber fuel line ($$) and special clamps to do the job of
mating
the nylon to metal. If anyone knows a better way, please pass it on!!!
I'm
hoping they don't leak under high pressure (NOTE: after 2 months, no
leaks.
The nylon and metal lines are within a millimeter of each other in the
hose).
Next, get the fuel filter bracket and nylon lines (from the assembly to
the tank)
off of any late `Stang (I used a `92 V6 car), they should all be the
same.
Mount this in the same location as the donor car.
Get a singe high pressure in-tank fuel pump (Jim @ PPI) I suggest
the 155lph unless motor is highly modified. The factory used 2 pumps in
`84. A
low pressure in the tank and a high 100lph in the line (right where the
2nd
muffy goes). Personally, I think a 190lph maybe to powerful and cause
leaks in
the rubber hose section of my setup. Wire up the pump from the factory
wiring
harness's hot lead to a good ground. Don't use the neg terminal on the
connector! There is a resistor in the negative side line (as per shop
manual)
to keep the voltage lower to the in-tank pump than the in-line pump.
The resister, it turns out, is a bright silver steel looking wire that's
in the harness
(under the rugs in the trunk). Unwrap the tape from around the wires
between the
rubber plug (where it passes through the body) and the hatch release
mechanism.
Cut the crimp between the copper wire and the silver wire. Crimp a new
piece of
copper to the copper wire coming from the tank and ground to the frame
by the hatch release mechanism. I also grounded
the silver wire for fun. This way you can disconnect the tank electicial
as needed in the future.

The sending unit in the tank is different from
`84 to `86. The after-market pumps will drop right in the `86 but not
the `84.
Get the sending unit assy off of an `86 or newer tank. Mine is off of a
`92 2.3 w/ FI.