Re: SVO: Shifters

You can buy the Hurst Compition Plus shifter. It's really the same shifter
but it won't let you use the SVO knob or the FMS knob the looks like the
SVO knob. Therefore what I did when my stock shifter fell apart was I
bought the Hurst Compition Plus shifter and also bought a stock 94 Corba
shift knob. The knob looks like the stock plastic unit on the 5.0's but is
leather wrapped and looks very nice and it's only $20 bux.

>Well last night out in the middle of bumblefu*** (Bug Bug knows what I
>mean) I was pulling away from a Stop sign and decided to hammer it and
>shift hard into second, nice 2nd gear spin at 15psi.  I shifted to third an
>smack, my knuckles hit the dash board with shifter in hand. Oops, wrong
>place to break down.
>
>Luckily I had a screwgun and crecent wench in the car and was able to pull
>the console and shifter boot to find that I had sheared one of the shifter
>bolts.  I was able nurse it back to my parents house and installed my old
>shifter off of my 89 5.0.
>
>My SVO shifter was trashed where it pivots in the plate. Is there any way
>to rebuild the SVO unit?
>
>The 5.0 shifter has a nylon pivot bearing that made the car shift really
>nice and have a nice feel to the tranny.  I will pick up more of these in
>Phoenix with new bearings for my other SVO.
>
>Another bonus is that the Motorsport leather shifter knob will fit on this
>stick giving the stock look back to the shifter assembly.
>

>Chris Roth
>98 SVT Contour -Black
>86 SVO Mustang -Silver Metallic
>85 SVO Mustang -Bright Red