Re: SVO: Shifters

Scott,

Not all of us pound the shit out of our cars and might want to have the
original shifter when restoring the car.

>Why?  Without the shift stops, they are a pretty lousy shifter if you
>shift hard(u must if you broke a bolt!)

My shifter was already trashed when I purchased the car in July.  This car
was most certainly owned by a moron college student in Phoenix (Pima
Community College sticker was the hint) and was abused mechanically, but
the interior is in really good condition.

>Think about it, all the force you are jamming the lever with is absorbed
>by the shift forks, which are aluminum.....

Jeff Dalbec just had this conversation about the Comp Plus shifter.  I had
a Hurst Comp Plus shifter on my 5.0 for your reason mentioned, but those
were in my punk College days. That is also I had the stock shifter sitting
at my parents house. Junk collector?

>A Hurst is the way to go...your lucky the bolts failed and not one of the
>little roll pins or the fork itself..

I agree with you that the Hurst Comp Plus shifter ($150) is the way to go
if you are going to shift you SVO hard, otherwise the Dave special $20
stock 5.0 shifter is a great solution.  Please do not take offense to this
post, I am merely offering MY opinion.

PS I will be running 13s this summer in Colorado without abusing the SVO
transmission.

Chris Roth
98 SVT Contour -Black
86 SVO Mustang -Silver Metallic