Re: SVO: Shifters

Carl and others interested,

I have never actually sat in your car to check out the shifter, but the
whole pivot socket in the plate is really trashed.  I did not look really
close, but I did not see any type of bearing in there.  The 5.0 shifter has
a huge nylon bearing to reduce wear.  You might want to pull the shifter
off of the tranny and check this.

If you or anyone is interested, I believe that the SVO stick will bolt to
the 5.0 shifter to retain the SVO shifter knob.  You should be able to
replace the shifter plate and reuse the shifter stick.  Carl, I can
probably get these really cheap in Phoenix over Chrismas, let me know if
you want one.

>This happens to me about once every three years.  I keep extra bolts
>in the toolbox just for it.  I had a friend with an 85 GT who had
>the same thing happen to him.  I assume it's really common...?

I have never heard of late model 5.0 guys with this problem, but most of
them put a Hurst unit on anyway.

>Trashed from going past the point it was supposed to, or just general
>wear?  I haven't any any problems that just putting new bolts in didn't
>solve.

You should really take a look at this, I would bet that your shifter pivot
is looser than it should be.

Chris Roth
98 SVT Contour -Black
86 SVO Mustang -Silver Metallic