[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
SVO: Batteries was Loosing Electrical Power
Another thing you should do, particularly before long periods of storage, is
to clean the battery. I had found that the crud that forms on top of the
battery IS conductive! I regularly clean the battery and I also use the
spray on protector stuff on the terminals. Permatex makes both the cleaner
and protector. Also, I spray the protector on the battery tray and anything
else nearby the battery that might corrode.
The last battery in my truck lasted 8 yrs. and probably would of lasted
longer had I not *completely drained* the battery twice in the same week.
Of course its possible that I was really lucky. FWIW it was a 60 Month
I agree that connector to the alternator is insufficient. Mine is partially
melted. I plan to add an additional wire to take some of the load off this
Tip of the Day: Vaseline works great as an electrical contact cleaner and
it helps to seal out moisture.
From: email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list SVO <SVO@SMARTWORX.COM>
Date: Monday, December 08, 1997 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: SVO: Loosing Electrical Power
>In response to Carl's post below:
>I too was on the 'one battery per year' trip also, since I store my car for
>months of the year. My cure was to get a remanufactured distributor,
>did not have any problems the past two summers with it from the looks of
>other responses. I store my car in a heated building that does not get
>degrees and disconnect BOTH battery cables(+/-). I discovered over the
>that disconnecting both cables, keeping the temperature above freezing and
>keeping it off of a concrete floor are the keys for battery storage. Since
>have done this the past two winters, my battery has not needed recharging
>spring and lasted two summers without incident.
>Just my $0.02.