SVO: Batteries was Loosing Electrical Power

Another thing you should do, particularly before long periods of storage, is
to clean the battery.  I had found that the crud that forms on top of the
battery IS conductive!  I regularly clean the battery and I also use the
spray on protector stuff on the terminals.  Permatex makes both the cleaner
and protector.  Also, I spray the protector on the battery tray and anything
else nearby the battery that might corrode.

The last battery in my truck lasted 8 yrs. and probably would of lasted
longer had I not *completely drained* the battery twice in the same week.
Of course its possible that I was really lucky.  FWIW it was a 60 Month
Interstate battery

I agree that connector to the alternator is insufficient.  Mine is partially
melted.  I plan to add an additional wire to take some of the load off this
connector.

Tip of the Day:  Vaseline works great as an electrical contact cleaner and
it helps to seal out moisture.

Carl Haines
86 SVO