Re: SVO - svo Digest - V01 #54

> From: DIRKPIT777 <DIRKPIT777@aol.com>
>
> To Joe and Cory,
>
> You guys are like a couple of children, all you do is critisize and complain
> about the hard work of others, but offer no solutions or help yourself.

Obviously you've never sent me a nice note before :). I offer
"suggestions" to anyone who asks...and make sure I get the point across
that I don't know everything, and that what I say are only my opinions or
suggestions, and not hard fact. I think that's pretty fair. BTW, when
someone writes in asking how to set base timing, or change plugs in their
car, who are usually the only people to respond? Lets see: Scott, Joe,
Carl M, Chris R, etc...the people who you and others may claim are
"bashers."

> I don't often post to the list because self appointed "experts" like
> yourselves spend incredible amounts of energy telling people what they have
> DONE.....can't be done ....with often very flawed logic and a mind set that
> believes there is only ONE way to do something.

I don't believe Joe nor I have proclaimed ourselves as "experts." In fact,
I bet you can't come up with ONE POST in which we said anything to that
effect.

> I have a fair amount of engineering experience being the Engineering Manager
> for a large automotive co for quite a few years......i have all the
> develpoment engineers and analitical engineers reporting to me.  These groups
> represent the pure theoretial MIT  brillant types and the hands on cut and try
> hardware types. The cut and try guys are ALWAYS doing things the pure
> theoretial guys, with all the computer modeling and Finite Element Modeling
> say can't be done. The new engineers learn very quickly from me....not to tell
> me something that has been done...can't be done...They better reinvent their
> theory and figure out why It IS being done. (There is a big lesson here for
> all the young engineering students.....next books and pure theory is a far cry
> from the real world of engineering)

So basically you're saying that the real world of engineering and physics
is black magic? Now I understand why I should buy Nick's cam with no stats
or specs...I think you just gave an even better reason why Nick should
give us an independent (wishful thinking), unbiased, back-to-back dyno
results.

> The other big lesson to learn is there are often MANY ways to get to the same
> place.

True, I usually choose the most efficient (read: least expensive).

> Don't get me wrong, to question and debate things is great, everyone learns in
> the process and people will ALWAYS have differing OPIONS....this is a good
> thing and keeps us all objective.

Then why did you post this message? That's all I'm doing. I'm simply
asking why spend $385, $600 or whatever for a product that is as good as
unproven to myself and the list when I could spend $600 on things I know
that work....like magic spell books :)

> But what i have seen at times is an attitude of aggressive attacks on a
> someone who has contributed immensely and with a very high level of integrity
> to our  common passion of the 2.3L turbo engine.

I have not attacked, but objectively questioned. Didn't you learn how to
do that in engineering school? BTW, I think Nick is a great guy. This is
nothing personal...then it would technically be a bashing.

> My experience with Nick has been nothing short of STELLAR. The products he has
> sold me have done exactly what he said they would....and when I had any
> problems or needed advice or instructions on something, he has always been
> available and more than willing to help, and 99% of the time his advice was
> right on the mark.

That's great to hear. Maybe he'll share some of his "expertise" by giving
us some un-biased dyno results of his product. Asking for scientific (or
as close as we can get) evidence of a vendors product isn't asking to
much. If this were to happen on one of the GOOD moderated lists, like the
GN list, Nick would have been torn to pieces by now.

> I have compared in my own car the stock cam....runs out of power about
> 5000Erpm...the ETS roller....poor idle, no low end or mid range but a killer
> top end, and Nicks cam...stock like idle, good low and mid range and killer
> high top end for as high as u want to go.  (Just like he advertises) And
> NO...i don't have dyno numbers or track times...i could't care less about them
> really, when the car runs and feels that much stronger by the seat of my
> pants....thats what is important to me....and most people who use their cars
> as daily drivers on the street.

Oh, in that case. I have this "trick" gutted upper intake and teardropped
and ported lower intake that really puts you back in your seat for sale
cheap! And talk about killer top end! Anyone interested? It's a complete
bolt on and only $100! :) NOT

> Even if  dyno numbers were not to show any gain.....I love the way if FEELS.

Then you really should buy my intake...just don't dyno it OK?

> Why don't one or BOTH of you put YOUR money where YOUR big mouths are. Surely
> between the two of you, you can come up with the money........buy one of his
> cams and do the tests yourselves....you won't believe the results any other
> way anyways.......I wonder....if you are proved WRONG if you will be MEN (have
> the manners) enought to admit it and publicly applogize.

There is no right or wrong here. We just want to see hard evidence before
we lay out the cash. I can't believe people bellyache about that! "You
guys complain too much," you kill me! I think your just sore because you
bought Nick's cam on impulse, and now you think people will look down upon
you if it turns out to be junk.

> So who are you children going to pick on and try to drive out of business
> next?...I have a few suggestions.....One of them still owes me $600 for a mass
> air kit that didn't work and was returned 5 months ago....and the check is in
> the mail....again.

Sooo, why did you purchase the mass air kit? Didn't you do any research
first? Maybe you wouldn't have gotted "took" if you did a little more
objective questioning ;)

IS IT SO MUCH TO ASK TO SEE PROOF A PRODUCT WORKS???

By the sound of things, Nick may be doing some dynoing...I still things
are a little fishy though. He's had this cam for 2 (?) years now? You mean
to tell me that he doesn't have these kind of numbers on hand for back to
back tests? I like the independent cam test idea. If it turned out that
his cam worked really good I would be one of the first to purchase one (if
the price for given performance issue was resolved that is).

later,

Cory (the Grinch)