Re: Turbo Creap

Dennis wrote:

>Now the guy tells me that I will need
>to buy and external waste gate or I will experience "TURBO CREAP",
>pressurizing the exhaust manifold.

I am not sure about this,  is he telling your that your swing-arm wastegate
is not fast/accurate enough to reduce exhaust manifold pressure.  Won't
there always be pressure in the exhaust manifold? That is what spins the
turbine, is there something different about the ceramic bearings that add
more resistance to exhaust manifold flow (increased pressure)?

>This would mean that I would have to make a whole lot of changes and
>addtions to the exhaust manifold just to install a larger turbo, or buy
>the ATR header and their external wastegate.

I do not think the ATR header has the wastegate option, looking at their
catalog, they have a replacement downpipe that uses an external wastegate.
It is actually a pretty neat deal (but expensive).  Their downpipe replaces
the cast elbow on your turbo with a SS 3" mandrel-bend pipe that bolts
directly to the turbine outlet.  They have a place to remount your O2
sensor and an external wastegate.  I was told by one of their employees
that this downpipe setup will increase horsepower by 30 but I think that is
a little high.  The setup is expensive, I think the wastgate alone is close
to $300.00.  If you (or anyone else) is interested in the details, let me
know and I can scan the pictures and info from their catalog and post it.

> or I am being fed a load of crap.

Bingo, we have a winner.

Chris Roth
98 SVT Contour -Black