SVO: Nick's cam/space shuttle disaster

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Jim Dvorak wrote:

> Problem is Nick sometimes writes almost as badly as Scott Shidel. (Nothing
> replaces a phone conversation.)

:P  I dont think its any better, to tell you the truth........

> Nick says if you buy an incomplete kit there's no guarantee.
>
> As opposed to buying all of his kit -- THEN you get the guarantee.

yeah, I dont see a problem on that one.. I dont think most companies have
a warranty on performance stuff anyhow.  I doubt if you get a Crane and it
goes flat, they will be eager to replace it...Cory had his Engle go
flat(first time), and Engle was very tuff to deal with when he tried to
get a replacement.,...I think he had it in there for a good what, 500
miles?  But then again, I would rather have a lobe go flat and me cuss out
the cam maker than have a valve lock up in the guide cuz the moron who
sold me the cam subracts 5 from 10 and somehow still gets  positive
number....

For those that dont follow what is going on........
In the valve train, the you have the guide, the seal, the retainer,
locks/keepers, and springs...

The retainer sits on the top of the valve stem, and is the disk that
connects the spring to the stem.  It is held in place by wedge shaped
"locks", that sit in grooves in the stem.  The guide is the section of the
head where the valve rides.  The top of the guide sticks out of the
head~.3 inches, and that is where the valve seal sits.
Nick is claiming the cam will work with stock valves.
Now, just a few days ago, a stock head with stock valves was measured as
having .611 inches of travel.  that means the valve can open .611 inches
before the retainer, which is on the top of the valve, hits the guide.

====I-I====<-----retainer
    I I  			it is hard as hell to see here, but on top
    IVI				there is the retainer. On the botton is
    IAI  |			the seal and guide.  As the valve opens,
    ILI  |motion is down	the retainer aprroaches the guide and
    IVI  |			seal.  The distance between the guide/seal
    IEI  *			determines the absolute max lift for that
    I I				valve/head combo.  The distance with no
  [|I I|]<----seal&guide	seal has been measured to be .611, but the
  [|I I|]			seal itself is .140.  So that means we
   |I I|			have a max travel of .471 on a stock head
   |I I|<--seal only		dropping the cam in, with no machining.
___|I I|______			Once again, nick claims to have a drop in
    I I				.505 in lift cam.  I leave it to you, the
    I I				people of the list, to explain what
    I I				happens when you force something to move
				.505 inches when there is ony room to move
.471.  It like saying that you are going to stroke your motor a half inch,
but use the same pistons/rods/block.  It wont work, cuz the pistons would
pop out of the top of the block.  Same with this cam, just not as extreme
of a proportion.  This is a case of russian roulette, becasue some heads
will have the clearance, some wont.  its all because of factory
tolerances, and the variance of them that sometimes these cams work and
sometimes they destroy your engine.  I can tell you one thing.  If any of
you had that head that was tested, and put that cam in it, your engine
would probably be dead by now, and if not dead atleast blowing smoke due
to valve seal damage.  is it worth it to you?

how many of you think the space shuttle disasster should have been avoided
if it could?  Well I had to watch like a 4 hour program on it last
semester..I was in Senior mechanical design I.  The movie was shown to us
to show us about ETHICS!  Do you know how long it was known there was a
problem with the Shuttle?  Since Launch #1!  The makers of the booster
engines was the Morton Thiakol<sp?> Corp, and an engineer noticed the
oring had burn damage after a few launces back inthe late 70's early 80's.
He brought it up to bosses/board members, etc, and was finally heading a
task force to look at the problem.  But it was like a token thing, as the
company would not listent o them anyhow.  In the mid eighties, the buring
of the O rings was really getting bad, and the Thiakol corp still did not
want to do anything about it for fear of a loss of business.  But every
time the thing went up, they crossed their fingers.  Well there were some
relations developed to outside conditions and stuff, and damage, and it
turns out the day it blew up the conditions were at the worst possible.
The people that have been harping on the problem for years, finally got
the management of Morton Thiakol to come clean with NASA about the
problem, after the 12 or 18 hours of heated debate.  The thiakol
corporation recommended to NASA do not lauch, or the thing will blow......
what did NASA do when confronted with the info? Strangly enough, they
didnt want to hear it.  They ignored the recommendation by the engine
maker that their own product could fail, to give in to politics....
Well folks, if you are still awake, do you see a connection?