Re: Attn Cold Start rough idle SVO Owners

At 10:14 AM 12/17/97 -0700, Chris  Roth wrote:
<snip>
>I think I have found the problem! I believe it is the fuel system, not the
>filter, the pumps.  Here is what I did: Turn the ignition on (but do not
>start) until you hear the fuel pumps cycle.  Turn the key on and off 10
>times (yes, 10) each time listening for the fuel pumps.  This will
>pressurized/prime the fuel system (kind of but not really).  Then start
>your car and see what happens.  It worked for me!
>
>I guess my fuel pumps are on their way out, time to change to the late
>model setup.  Please let me/the list know if this solves your problem.
>

>Chris Roth
>2 SVOs
>http://www.rothfam.com/svo

Yes, this is what one of my fellow SVO owner friend Steve who works on the
production line at Saleen suggested to me on my 1986 -- and it worked! (He
had similar fuel problems in his '86 just before this happened to me and he
was running a fuel pressure gauge to pinpoint it -- but I didn't want to go
through all that trouble and expense.)

I had very similar problem as you but it would only run at about barely
idle for the first 3 or 4 minutes -- flooring the gas pedal made no
difference. So on Steve's advice I cranked the key about 20 times to build
pressure and voila!

It seems usually they just go out without warning. Mine had this "cold"
(meaning enough time to lose pressure) starting problem, and lack of power
under boost.

And of course there are no code readings to indicate low fuel pressure.

Now if anybody needs a virtually new bracket assembly (to convert your
early car) and 155LPH pump give me a holler!

Jim Dvorak (aka jim@mustangsvo.org)

http://www.mustangsvo.org  ***  http://www.fordcarclubs.org