SVO: Burning at the stake

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:54:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Scott Shidel..." <shidel@suntan.eng.usf.edu>
> Subject: Re: SVO:  Re: Nick's cam
>
> This situation is like going to a church, and questioning their beleifs.
> I for the life of me cant remember who it was, but it was either
> Copernicus or Galileo that fist discovered the earth revolved around the
> sun.

If memory serves...it was Galileo, and the Pope of the Catholic church
order his execution by burning at the stake if he didn't admit to the
people that he made it up. He gave in at the stake, and they didn't burn
him. It wasn't until much later that the scientific community realized
what he all had done, and that he was right. The Catholic Church just
recently (last decade or so) formally appoligized for attempting to burn
Galileo for his scientific (read: correct) beliefs. Don't worry Joe and
Scott, your day will come when people understand :)

Shall I bring in a firehose just in case?

Cory