Attn Cold Start rough idle SVO Owners

>>From what I can tell, everyone with the rough idle when starting the car on
>a cold dayowns an 84 and early 85 SVO.  If this is not correct please
>contact me.
>
>Anyway, I too have a 85 SVO with the cold start problem.  When I start it
>in the morning it idles fine for about 5 seconds and then starts this
>really wierd engine miss type action for at least 2 minutes.
>
>I think I have found the problem! I believe it is the fuel system, not the
>filter, the pumps.  Here is what I did: Turn the ignition on (but do not
>start) until you hear the fuel pumps cycle.  Turn the key on and off 10
>times (yes, 10) each time listening for the fuel pumps.  This will
>pressurized/prime the fuel system (kind of but not really).  Then start
>your car and see what happens.  It worked for me!
>
>I guess my fuel pumps are on their way out, time to change to the late
>model setup.  Please let me/the list know if this solves your problem.
>

>Chris Roth
>2 SVOs
>http://www.rothfam.com/svo

Chris, this exactly like a problem I had with a new fuel pump.  It would
not hold the fuel pressure up.  We put a fuel pressure gauge at the lines
coming into the fuel rail and would charge up the pressure by turning on
the fuel ignition.  As soon as the ignition was turned off the pressure
would fall.  Other units could have been suspect (like the fuel pressure
regulator) but since it was a brand new pump, we swapped that out first and
retested.  Yep, the new-new pump held the line pressure up.

By the way, I have installed a 190 pump with no problems at full boost.  I
think it is kind of noisy though.  It came from Saleen and cost $70 or $80.
I can't verify their quality control, as the first one died (these things
happen) and the second one is noisy.  I should call them and ask if noisy
is expected.

Monty