SVO: Another Whell question..

O.k. here it comes another wheel question..
I would like to run 17x8's. Now i have a question about tires.  what
tires will fit on this rim? the stock SVO wheel is 16x7" and has a
225/50/16 tire on it.. So let me quess with a 17x8 you could go with a
245/45/17. Right? going down a lower profile tire will give me the same
outter tire circumfernce?

i got a post saying you couldn't use probe wheels, and another saying you
could.  well is it yes or no? :)

and about rolling the lips with 17x8 this would probalby ruin the value
of the car by doing this, so i was wondering this.. could i try various
backspacings and such to make sure it doesn't rub? like if the stock
backspacing is 5.95 what if i tried a 5.75, or 6.00 this should move the
wheel in or out much but maybe enough where it won't rub..
please let me know i am dying to get some new rims..

ExtremeSVO
Charcoal Grey '86 SVO which needs a paint job bad!
2 Chambered Flowmasters, 2 1/2" Mac Tail pipes(Is it me or does MAC SUCK)