Re: SVO: Exhaust Manifold porting

Jim Dvorak wrote:

> At 05:48 PM 12/22/97 -0500, Ric Gillis wrote:

> >Am I opening a can of worms, by loosening all those untouched 10year + old
> >bolts?
>
> In my opinin, yes. I had to have other work done, so I did all related work
> at the same time. But I wouldn't do it just to do it. But I tend to be more
> cautious.

I wouldn't do it either, unless I was also upgrading the turbo.  It's
just a big enough hassle I'd prefer not to do it twice.  I've done it
once because I broke a stud on the manifold/turbo connection.  Which
bring my to my point, I would DEFINITELY go with new studs any time
you've got the turbo and manifold apart (nuts, too).  Worst part for
me was that this was a few years back, so I didn't even know that I
could get a better exhaust manifold for not-a-lot-o-money.

Speaking of cans-o-worms in the exhaust side, once I touched the bolts
that hold the exhaust elbow onto the exhaust side of the turbo I've had
a very hard time getting them to stay in.  Normal lock-washers lose their
spring, and loc-tite just burns off (even the high temp stuff).
Apparently the solution is "special" lock washers that are flat, but
with a grooved abrasive surface...I've seen them before but don't have
a good way to describe them.  Haven't done it yet...