Re: SVO - svo Digest - V01 #83

> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:38:50 -0500
> From: "B. Jones" <86svo@digizen.net>
> Subject: Re: SVO
>
> I've gotten really tired of the cam crap, so I broke out a bone stock
> 1986 vintage head off my SVO thats been sitting in my basement.  I
> measured ~0.635" to the retainer with no seal, seal(86 vintage) measured
> ~0.160, that leaves ~0.475, close to the 0.471 we've all heard about 200
> times.  Whooo wait a second that won't work -- BUT -- WHAT IF? imagine
> this, the drop in kit had different retainers, or machined stock ones
> HMMM...
>
> The distance between the bottom of the retainer and the recessed keepers
> is ~0.07", so with a drop in kit with different retainers, or machined
> stock ones, theoretically you could get TADA 0.545" of lift without
> removing the head.  Magic, I think not.  A possible way to get 0.505
> lift on a stock head, maybe.

The problem is not in the retainer height as much as the keeper
height...You can always get offset retainers to raise spring installed
height, but without machining you cannot offset the keeper height. Take
another look and tell us all what hits the guide first, the retainer or
the keeper?

Cory (Network admin for hire :))