Re: TC Intercooler

WalterDeGroot wrote:

> I can't see how a blow off protects the turbo
>the engine mabey, but not the turbo.

I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that the whole purpose of a
by-pass valve is to relieve pressure in the from the turbo to the TB.  When
you close the TB (decell) you build a ton of boost from the already high
RPMed turbo.  That boost needs somewhere to go so or it will cause the
turbo to stop spinning.  I have heard from someone out there that you can
actually stop the turbine from spinning (20,000 rpm or higher down to 0
rpm) if you do the full throttle to closed throttle under full boost.  That
cannot be good on the turbo bearings.  The by-pass valve allows the
pressure to bleed off and allow the turbo to slow down on its own.

Chris Roth
2-SVOs
http://www.rothfam.com/svo