Re: TC Intercooler

Chris Roth wrote:

> WalterDeGroot wrote:
>
> > I can't see how a blow off protects the turbo
> >the engine mabey, but not the turbo.
>
> I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that the whole purpose of a
> by-pass valve is to relieve pressure in the from the turbo to the TB.  When
> you close the TB (decell) you build a ton of boost from the already high
> RPMed turbo.  That boost needs somewhere to go so or it will cause the
> turbo to stop spinning.  I have heard from someone out there that you can
> actually stop the turbine from spinning (20,000 rpm or higher down to 0
> rpm) if you do the full throttle to closed throttle under full boost.  That
> cannot be good on the turbo bearings.  The by-pass valve allows the
> pressure to bleed off and allow the turbo to slow down on its own.
>
> Chris Roth
> 2-SVOs
> http://www.rothfam.com/svo

Chris's explanation is right on the money.  The stress on the bearings and the
vanes of the turbo is extreme.  I plan on installing a blow-off valve.  After
all, it's a lot cheaper than a new turbo!
--
El Jefe ___
 ________\ \_________
 \ '87 Turbo Coupe  /
  \______    ______/
         /__\  Don Johnson
               Sachse, TX.
begin:          vcard
fn:             Don Johnson
n:              Johnson;Don
org:            D'n'M Enterprises
adr;dom:        4609 Westcreek Lane;;;Sachse;TX;75048;
email;internet: eljefe@airmail.net
tel;work:       (972) 918-5689
tel;fax:        (972) 530-4431
tel;home:       (972) 530-5745
note;quoted-printable:We search the world to help =
	=0D=0A=
	  those who want to be free =
	=0D=0A=
	         and successful.=0D=0A=