Re: exhaust manifold

Preston,

 There is another possibility.

Use a stock DIS system as-is and rob the APC boost control system off of a Saab.
Saabs use a modulated BCS and vary the boost from 4psi to as much as the
engine will stand without pinging.
you will have to mount a Bosch Knock sensor to the block...

 If they really did make DIS 4cyls without "hot wire" Mass air(as according
to Joe), it opens up
some interesting possibilities.

 The DIS will adjust timing because it has it's own factory KS in the usual
place.

If you can make the DIS run as a "stand alone" system  with a Turbo computer...
(though I can't imagine how...)
Or you could simply plug the extra 4 spark plug holes, and run the 8-plug
head with 4 plugs,
this would allow Cylinder head temp monitoring of all 4 cyls...

I believe that the 8plug head has a slightly larger combustion chamber than
even
the "unshrouded" turbo head so it would be somewhat better for ultimate power,
but unfortunatly at the expense of bottom end torque.

 To those who don't know, lower mechanical compression equals more boost
tolerance.
but at the expense of lower bottom end torque.
 and if you increase compression, you increase torque and throttle response
but (obvously)
at the expense of top end power.

 You COULD however set up a high compression engine with a very large
turbine and compressor to extend the torque range of the engine into really
high rpm's (which was how the Callaway Rabbit was set-up).

Sorry for the "turbo Primer" for those who already understand this.

Allan